CHOOSING the right boys school coat is an important decision when looking for something stylish, comfortable, weatherproof and made to last.
We’ve searched everywhere for the best school coats for boys – with a range of styles and to suit every budget, so you’re ready for the new school year.
The best school coats for boys at a glance:
- The best boys’ school coat on a budget: M&S Stormwear™ lightweight quilted jacket
- Best lightweight school coat for boys: Light and warm quilted parka for children Uniqlo
- Best Warm School Coat for Boys: Mountain Warehouse Snow Water Resistant Quilted Jacket for Kids
- Best Reversible Boy’s School Coat: La Redoute Recycled Reversible Puffer Jacket
- Best boy parka for school: Trespass Upbeat Kids Waterproof Parka
- Best waterproof school coat for boys: The North Face Resolve Reflective Jacket for Boys
- The best boys’ duffle coat for school: Vertbaudet wool duffle coat with sherpa lining for boys
- Best School Coat For Young Boys: Polarn O Pyret waterproof jacket for children
- Best boys down jacket for school: Boy’s coat Petit Bateau
- Best school coat for older boys: Older Boys’ Nike NSW Windrunner
- The best eco-friendly boy’s school coat: Boden Cozy Packable Quilted Jacket
1. Best Budget Boys’ School Coat: M&S Stormwear™ Lightweight Padded Jacket
- M&S Stormwear™ Lightweight Padded Jacket, £20 at M&S – buy here
This M&S jacket is great value at £20 for a great jacket that has so many great features and works well for different seasons.
It has light padding and a comfortable full lining for extra warmth. Plus, the hood and Stormwear™ technology ensure the boys stay dry whatever the weather during playtime.
It’s also made from recycled polyester and is really lightweight, so it can easily be stored in a school bag or locker when not needed.
Material: Polyamide Size range: 6-16 years old
2. Best Lightweight School Coat for Boys: Uniqlo Kids Lightweight Warm Padded Parka
- Uniqlo Kids Lightweight Warm Padded Parka, £34.90 at Uniqlo – buy here
Another light and practical coat for school is this Uniqlo quilted parka, which is warm and comfortable but is not bulky and packs down very small.
It also has a detachable hood and a water-repellent coating, making it a great all-weather, all-season coat.
This practical parka is available from ages 3 to 13 – and is machine washable, so there’s no worries if your little one comes home from school a mess!
Material: Nylon/Polyester Size range: 3-13 years old
3. Best Warm School Coat for Boys: Mountain Warehouse Snow Kids Water-Resistant Quilted Jacket
- Mountain Warehouse Snow Kids Water Resistant Padded Jacket, £29.99 (on sale) at Mountain Warehouse – buy here
If you’re looking for something to fend off the winter chill, head to Mountain Warehouse for a great selection of hardwearing kids’ coats.
This Snow Kids jacket is treated with a durable water repellent to make it water resistant and has an adjustable hood to keep kids out in all weathers.
It is also padded with microfiber filling, which is a great alternative to down to keep you warm and toasty. In addition, the adjustable cuffs prevent cold drafts from entering.
Material: Nylon/Polyester Size range: 5-13 years old
4. Best reversible boy’s school coat: La Redoute Reversible Recycled Down Jacket
- La Redoute Recycled Reversible Quilted Jacket, £38 at La Redoute – shop here
This nifty number gives you the best of both worlds with a sleek, plain navy jacket perfect for school that you can flip into a cool, color-block look at the weekend.
This mid-season jacket is quilted with a hood, 2 front pockets and a zip closure – the pockets are on both sides.
Plus, this nifty coat features recycled polyester filling so you feel like you’re doing your part for the environment with this purchase, too.
Material: Polyester Size range: 3-12 years old
5. Best Boy’s Parka for School: Trespass Upbeat Waterproof Parka for Kids
- Trespass Upbeat Waterproof Parka for Kids, from £28.13 at Amazon – Buy here
Parkas are a great choice for warm, weather-resistant coats for kids.
Waterproof and windproof with a padded shell and partial sherpa fleece lining, this Trespass parka will keep school kids warm and dry from fall through spring.
It also has adjustable cuffs with Velcro tabs and a drawstring hem for the perfect fit. Moreover, with parkas you can easily buy big and it will also last you next winter.
Material: Polyester Size range: 2-12 years old
6. Best Waterproof School Coat for Boys: The North Face Resolve Reflective Boys’ Jacket
- The North Face Resolve Reflective Boys’ Jacket, £35.99 (on sale) at Ellis Brigham – shop here
If you’re looking for something that won’t let you down in wet weather, this Northface jacket has you covered.
It has a durable water repellent finish – the DryVent 2L fabric is waterproof and breathable – as well as a comfortable lining.
Ideal for school but also for weekend outdoor adventures with a storm flap that covers the front zip to block drafts and reflective bars on the sleeves.
Material: DryVent fabric Size range: S/M/L
7. The best boy’s duffle coat for school: the Vertbaudet wool duffle coat
- Boys wool duffle coat with sherpa lining, £40 at Vertbaudet – shop here
Are you looking for something elegant and warm? Many schools have strict uniform rules and this woolen duffle coat should tick all the boxes for a stylish, warm and stylish children’s coat.
Available from 18 months to 14 years old, this coat will suit any age boy and the warm sherpa lining will keep them super comfy and toasty even in the coldest weather.
It closes with toggles and buttons – and there are two flap pockets and a lined hood for extra warmth.
This cozy wool coat is also machine washable so you don’t have to worry about what your little one puts in it at school.
Material: Polyester/ Wool Size range: 18 months -14 years
8. Best School Coat for Young Boys: Polarn O Pyret Waterproof Kids Shell Jacket
- Polarn O Pyret Waterproof Jacket for Kids, £70 at Polarn O Pyret – buy here
Available from just 9 months and perfect for toddlers, this kids shell jacket is 100% waterproof so little boys can play and have fun in the rain.
One of the more expensive options on our list, but you’re paying for the quality and great features of this jacket – made from tough, durable, windproof material, your child is sure to be comfortable and comfortable. comfortable.
Plus, for extra warmth, you can also throw on the Polarn O Pyret fleece or down jacket for a nifty layering system – making this jacket suitable for all seasons.
Material: Polyamide Size range: 9 months -12 years
9. Best boy’s down jacket for school: the Petit Bateau boy’s coat
- Petit Bateau boys’ coat, €84 at Petit Bateau – Buy here
You can’t go wrong with Petit Bateau for children’s coats in terms of quality and durability, but they come at a price.
However, you can expect a Petit Bateau coat to last a long time – so buy big and get what you pay for!
This down jacket, available in three fresh colors, is water-repellent with a microfleece-lined body, hood and pockets for extra softness and warmth.
It’s also made from recycled materials so you’re doing your bit for the planet while keeping your child warm, comfy and stylish for school.
Material: Recycled materials and microfleece Size range: 3-12 years old
10. Best School Coat for Older Boys: Nike Older Boys Nsw Windrunner
- Older Boys Nsw Windrunner – Black, £70 at Very – shop here
Older school children will certainly be happy to have a Nike school coat and this Nsw Windrunner will protect them from the elements while looking great.
It has a zip front hooded top and side zip pockets, as well as Nike branding to the chest.
It’s also made from lightweight fabric so it won’t be bulky and easy to store in a school locker.
Material: Recycled polyester Size range: 6-15 years old
11. The best eco-friendly boy’s school coat: Boden Cozy Packable Quilted Jacket
- Cozy Pack-away Padded JacketNavy/Nutty Brown, £37 at Boden – shop here
This colorful coat from Boden will keep you dry when it’s raining on the playground, but the best part is that it packs away into a pocket when you don’t need it.
It also ticks many boxes on the eco-front with the exterior, lining and padding made from recycled materials – and the water-repellent coating used on the jacket is eco-friendly – free of fluorocarbons and other chemicals. hazardous chemicals providing optimum performance.
Available from 2 to 14 years old, this luminous jacket is very elegant and machine washable.
Material: Polyamide Size range: 2-14 years old
How to choose the best children’s coats for school
When choosing a winter coat, check both the outer shell, the lining and the filling materials. For padding, you want something that will provide insulation and keep warmth in and a soft, breathable material for the liner for added comfort.
Ideally, the outer shell would be water resistant – and if not entirely, at least covered with something that can keep out the rain – a hood can also come in very handy.
A fitted coat will keep the heat in best, but you might want to go a little big so the coat will last you a second fall/winter – adjustable cuffs can also help keep drafts out.
Also, many kids need to store their coats in lockers or backpacks, so something lightweight that folds up small can be really handy.
What’s the best coat style for school?
Ultimately it depends on the school and your child’s style and preferences, but down jackets often tick all the boxes for a school coat.
Down jackets are often water repellent with a hood, warm with a padded lining and are also lightweight rather than bulky so they pack up small. They come in a range of styles and prices and are usually machine washable.
What is the best coat color for school?
It’s best to check your school’s rules and uniform advice, but many schools are flexible on coat colors.
It would be advisable not to opt for something too bright or with bold patterns, but you should stick to dark colors like navy blue, black or dark green.