PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A 6-month-old boy was found barely alive in a motel room by a social services worker after his mother overdosed days earlier, Springfield, Ore., police said.
In a statement on Wednesday, authorities said officers responded to the Quality Inn around 7 p.m. Monday to help with welfare checks. When officers arrived at the motel room, they found the 6-month-old boy strapped to a stroller car seat and “virtually unresponsive,” authorities said.
The boy was taken to Riverbend Hospital by medics and then transferred to OHSU’s Doernbecher Hospital in Portland for “life-saving treatment”, police said. The boy suffered from severe dehydration, malnutrition and severe diaper rash.
The boy’s mother, identified only as a 28-year-old woman, was also found dead in the motel room from an apparent overdose. Officers found a quantity of heroin in the room, authorities said.
Police say the Department of Social Services worker saved the life of a 6-month-old boy while checking after-hours welfare.
Based on their initial investigation, authorities said the mother overdosed in the bedroom about four days before the welfare check.
However, authorities say her son’s condition has “significantly” improved and is being discharged from Doernbecher Hospital.
Springfield Police are advising anyone in the Eugene-Springfield area with addictions to contact CAHOOTS, who can also provide resources to family and friends of those who are also addicted. The 24-hour non-emergency line is 541-726-3714.