Two Paso Robles Press newspapers were in the capsule
PASO ROBLES – On October 14, the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), opened a time capsule that was sealed in the old administration building of the youth correctional facility of El Paso de Robles in 1954.
The facility on Airport Road has been deactivated and vacant since 2008, and the property is in the process of being sold. The capsule has been opened due to the upcoming sale.
About 25 people were in attendance, including DJJ Director Heather Bowlds, Psy.D., and former El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility Superintendent David Bacigalupo.
Go through this together, Paso Robles
The first young people arrived at El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility on September 30, 1947. The facility, operated by the California Youth Authority at the time, was a former army airfield consisting of 200 acres and 40 barracks buildings and was purchased by the state for $ 8,000.
El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility served as a youth conservation camp in partnership with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE).
The time capsule has been removed from the brick exterior of the old boys‘ school. It took about 20 minutes to cut the copper container from the building.
Two Paso Robles Press articles were found in the capsule along with an edition of the Telegram-Tribune. Historical photos were also in the capsule, including one from 1947 of the first boys to arrive from a correctional facility in Whittier.
In addition, dozens of business cards from state officials, including a signature from former California Governor Goodwin Knight, were in the capsule.
The sight of the former El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility is on its way to becoming the new site for a business park. The property is currently in receivership.
The opening of the time capsule brought the town of Paso Robles closer to its farewell to the El Paso de Robles Youth Correctional Facility.