The beloved principal of a private Manhattan school has been kicked out amid a bitter legal battle waged by parents against the school’s board of trustees.
In a letter to parents and faculty on Friday, the St. Bernard’s School board said it had “overwhelmingly” determined that Stuart Johnson, who ran the Upper Boys’ School East Side for 35 years, is expected to quit his post immediately – more than a year before his scheduled retirement following an investigation into “multiple credible complaints” against him.
“They performed a corporate style stunt,” said one parent, who supports the school’s $ 50,000-a-year lawsuit. “The only fault in the school does not come from the principal’s office, but rather from the meeting room. “
In court documents filed with the Manhattan State Supreme Court last month, parents of students in Kindergarten to Grade 9, 116, alleged that the council’s executive committee made risky investments with school funds and hired expensive law and public teams. management relations with school resources to defend themselves.
In his own letter to parents on Friday, Johnson said he supported the board’s decision to end “the discord over my planned departure, which has concerned the school for the past six months.” Johnson, who was due to return for his final year of school in September, has now been put on sabbatical, the council’s letter to parents says.
The parents first sued the school in March, alleging the board was expelling Johnson. The complaint was brought by anonymous plaintiffs to prevent council members from targeting the families of individual students, a parents’ lawyer told the Post.