O’Brien arrested as he leaves Lloydminster courtroom


As Nathan O’Brien walked out of the courtroom, two RCMP officers told him he was under arrest and handcuffed him

LLOYDMINSTER – Nathan O’Brien – who faces numerous weapons offenses – was arrested as he left the courtroom in Lloydminster on Monday.

O’Brien, 37, appeared in court as scheduled that morning and told the court he needed time to find a lawyer. Judge Michelle Baldwin adjourned the case until May 9.

As O’Brien walked through the courtroom door, two RCMP officers – one in civilian clothes and the other in uniform – told him he was under arrest and have handcuffed.

O’Brien then appeared in court by telephone hours later from Lloydminster RCMP cells and North Battleford Crown Attorney Loren Klein opposed his release. The court heard that O’Brien was arrested for violating the conditions of his release on April 10 and 11 for failing to observe his curfew.

O’Brien asked the court for an immediate bail hearing saying it was all miscommunication and that he had permission from his probation officer to leave the residence he was at and be in another residence.

“I rent this house. It wasn’t safe for me to be there. I can’t stay here. It’s not prudent.

“A guy punched me in the face,” he said, adding that he was thrown out the window.

O’Brien told the court he owned the house and it was at the center of an RCMP raid.

“There were people there who were into drugs and all sorts of things and I didn’t feel safe there.”

He told the court he called his probation officer to tell him he couldn’t stay in the house because he wasn’t sure he would.

“I had no intention of doing this. I don’t know, man, how do I explain myself to you guys? It will ruin me. I have a job, a house, a mortgage, I have to take care of my children.

Judge Baldwin told O’Brien she understood his position, but warned him that if he was doing a bail hearing that day and she didn’t have enough information for him grant bail, he would not have another chance to be released on bail in provincial court and would have to wait 90 days for a bail hearing in the Court of Queen’s Bench in Battleford.

O’Brien said he could be released to his ex-wife’s house and it was a good home, but Judge Baldwin said she needed a probation officer to verify that.

“I can’t take your word for it. Unfortunately, I hear a lot of stuff sitting here.

After a nearly 20-minute argument with Judge Baldwin, O’Brien agreed to seek legal aid assistance and postpone his bail hearing until Thursday.

“So I sit here in the cells until then?” He asked.

“No, they’ll take you to the correctional facility,” Judge Baldwin said.

O’Brien released on bail in March

O’Brien was first released on bail on 31 March by Lloydminster court; the Crown did not oppose his release.

According to court documents, Lloydminster RCMP charged O’Brien with firearms offenses on February 26 this year, as well as offenses dating back to 2020. He is charged, on February 26, with storing a handgun in a careless manner, storing a shotgun in a careless manner, storing ammunition in a careless manner, possession of a restricted firearm with easily accessible ammunition that can be unloaded and no license to possess the weapon restricted fire.

He is also charged with having a firearms license for a handgun, but on February 26, in the 4400 block of 32nd Street in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, he had the handgun at a location where it was not allowed.

Court documents also show that between December 1, 2020 and January 17, 2022, in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, he allegedly transferred a handgun knowing he was not authorized to do so and that he had lost or stole a handgun from his possession and failed to report the loss to the police and the firearms officer or chief firearms officer.

The charges against O’Brien have not been proven in court.

[email protected]


About Author

Comments are closed.